• Text size
  • A
  • A
  • A
Your spotlight on local services

Help with NHS Problems

Solving a problem experienced within an NHS body

Each NHS Trust has a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), which acts on behalf of patients and/or their families and carers to negotiate prompt solutions to problems.  PALS can also advise you about making a complaint.

If you're not happy with the care or treatment you have received, or you have been refused treatment for a condition, you have the right to complain, have your complaint investigated and be given a full and prompt reply.  Each NHS Trust also has its own complaints department.

How to contact PALS/Complaints Teams

You will need to contact the NHS Trust to which your issue/complaint relates.  As an Oldham resident, this might be:

  • Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust.  Tel 0161 716 3178 for mental health PALS, or 01706 652 890 for Community services PALS. 
  • Pennine Acute NHS Hospitals Trust.  Tel. 0161 604 5897, or click here for more details http://www.pat.nhs.uk/Contact-Us/About-PALS.php

If you have been treated outside of Oldham, or if you do not know the name of the NHS Trust you need, please contact us at Healthwatch Oldham.

What to do if you received treatment from a private health care provider

If you have received treatment under the NHS from a private hospital or other service provider, your complaint will need to be made directly to them in the first instance, and not to the NHS.

What to do if you are not happy with the usual channels

If you are not satisfied with the response from the service provider, you can complain to the relevant commissioning body.  

If you are an Oldham resident, this will either be the Oldham Clinical Commissioning Group or NHS England.  Please contact us for advice.

Finally, if your complaint can not be satisfied  through these channels, you can refer the matter to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, who is independent of the NHS and of government.  Please contact us for advice.